From BBC Good Food
Forced rhubarb is available January to early February. Try this tangy dessert as the perfect way to round off Sunday lunch.
- 500g pack shortcrust pastry , thawed if frozen
- 1kg rhubarb , trimmed, or 750g/1lb 10oz ready trimmed
- 3 rounded tbsp plain flour
- 85g caster sugar
For the topping
- 85g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g demerara sugar
- 50g hazelnuts , roughly chopped
- 50g butter
- single cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Roll out the pastry and use to line a deep 23cm/9in flan tin. Chop the rhubarb into 3cm/1in lengths and tip into a large bowl with the flour and sugar. Mix well, then tip into the pastry case, spreading the rhubarb to level it.
- To make the topping, mix together the flour, cinnamon, sugar and nuts. Add the butter, cut into small pieces, and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the rhubarb. Set aside until ready to bake, up to 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C. Bake the pie for 40-45 minutes until the topping is crisp and golden and the rhubarb is tender – test by spearing a piece of fruit through the topping with a knife. Serve warm or cold with single cream or vanilla ice cream.