- The Hawarden site is conveniently located within the beautiful Gladstone Estate.
- Location: Chester Road, Hawarden, Flintshire, Deeside CH5 3FB.
- The site is nestled in between the fruit trees just behind the Farm Shop, which has a lovely cafe and easy free on-site parking.
- At just over ¼ acre the Hawarden site has a mixture of raised and flat beds with barked paths a small green house, a useful potting shed and colourful flower beds.
- There is a large shed used on cooler days to sit and share a brew or you can enjoy the outdoor seating area on warmer days.
- All our crops are grown to organic principles. In the ground we grow a good selection of root crops, onions, garlic, salads, herbs, brassicas, peas, beans and squash. The greenhouse is mainly used to raise our vegetable seedlings, but we also find room for a few tomatoes and cucumbers. We have a mixture of fruit, strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries, blackcurrants and thornless blackberries.
Who is this site suitable for?
- Anyone who is interested in growing vegetables regardless of know-how or ability and who would enjoy working within a group of likeminded people.
- The small area of raised beds gives easier access to gardening, the greenhouse is somewhere to grow interesting things and the large flat beds provide that little bit of exercise you may want to get from gardening.
Access times and contact details
- The site is open during Farm Shop hours – Mon to Sun: 9am to 5pm. These times are extended during the summer months.
- We hold two work days a week, Wednesday and Friday, and at least one Saturday in the month.
- New members are always welcome so if you are interested, please contact the Hawarden Site Manager to arrange a visit, have a chat and tour of the garden.
We suffered some damage after storm Arwen; the brassica cage was blown down, several panes of glass were lost in the greenhouse and the frost covering on the new potatoes was strewn over the garden … Read more
Members hard at work putting in a mixture of wild flower and annual plug plants on the Hawarden bank, random squares of turf were cut out before planting, we will continue to add plug plants … Read more
A fantastic day was had by all at the willow weaving event in Hawarden, and what a wonderful group of people, with the guidance of Alison, our own willow expert, we enjoyed taking whips of … Read more
We have an abundance of leaf litter and while we are creating new beds we also have excess soil, we are combining them both and putting them into large bags the type you would get … Read more
The first Sunday Work day was a great success and thanks to everyone who came, it was wonderful to see so many new faces at the Hawarden Site. The winter jobs were carried out with … Read more
What a fantastic Hub and Open day this weekend, despite the inclement weather we all kept dry under the new tarp and enjoyed home made vegetable soup, Courgette bread and many more culinary delights. The … Read more