Our favourite celeriac soup.
- 1 litre good chicken stock (or I like Marigold Bouillion stock powder made up)
- 1 Celeriac
- 2 Onions
- 2 Celery sticks (we haven’t grown those so I use the leaves from the celeriac – not chopped up and remove before pureeing)
- 25g butter
- 2 garlic cloves (I used about 4 chopped finely!)
- 1 Cooking apple peeled and chopped
- 1 dessert apple peeled and chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 75g blue cheese (optional – delicious without)
- 2 tblsp single cream (also optional – I resisted!)
- Warm stock, peel and chop veg
- Melt butter and add veg. ‘Sweat’ with the lid on without letting them colour – several minutes.
- Add garlic then stock. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Add apples, cover and simmer for 20 mins.
- Puree (remove celeriac leaves first if using)
- Return to heat and season.
- Add cheese and/or cream just before serving if wanted.
From Sarah Raven’s ‘Garden Cookbook’