If any of you came to the Hawarden big push day you will have enjoyed Ruth’s cake, which she has kindly shared with us here.
- 250g butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g stewed rhubarb with 50g of sugar
- 150g custard
- Pre heat oven to 180C and grease cake tin
- Drain off any juice from stewed rhubarb.
- Place butter and sugar in a bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time .
- Sift flour into mixture and fold in gently.
- Spoon 1/3 of the cake mixture into the cake tin.
- Pour the custard over this first layer of sponge – save 3 tbsp for the top.
- Spoon rhubarb over the custard.
- Spoon rest of sponge mix over the custard and smooth to cover all of the rhubarb.
- Finish off with remaining custard.
- Bake in oven for 45-55 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out of the sponge clean.